“Be YOUR Beautiful Self”
This segment… is a mini rant. It’s a necessary one and something that makes us absolutely CRAZY. It’s something that all of a sudden exploded on the Internet and is now this huge phenomenon and it needs to STOP. It is called FITSPIRATION. (For some reason someone decided that putting the word “fit” in front of it made it WAY more promoting of a positive body image than the other devil of the internet “thinspiration” (WHOLE other animal of awful))
There is so much wrong with this epidemic that it literally could take all day to type out all of the reasons that it needs to not exist anymore. It supports everything wrong with how girls think about themselves and ultimately end up treating their bodies.
Yeah, we go to the gym to help us look and feel awesome… but our goal is not to look like one of the femme-bots you can find on any number of “fitspiration” pictures like this
Our goal is to push ourselves past what we could do the day before. Our goal is to walk out of that gym and feel proud of ourselves. Our goal is to feel better and better every day because we’ve trained our bodies to function optimally. Our goal is to feel great about the people we ARE not the people others think we SHOULD be. (Side note: Have you ever considered the “others” who are pumping this fitspiration stupidness?…Do you know them?? If they were to walk up to you in person and tell you “hey look at these abs, isn’t this what you want?? How about I just follow you around every day with no shirt on so you can CONTINUOUSLY feel bad about your own body all day long.” Seems a little ridiculous when you think about it that way doesn’t it? – essentially the same thing as the pictures ALL OVER THE INTERNET. Constant reminder that “you just aren’t good enough”)
These images and messages promote
- Not eating (uhhh that sounds like the worst idea ever. Margaret would have the most raging “Hanger” ever. Like she would Godzilla the hell out of everyone)
- Feeling guilty about pretty much eating anything (Guilt unfortunately is a VERY powerful trigger for pretty much everything negative… and should not be associated with food EVER. If you have a bad day where you fell off the wagon a little bit… it happens. It happens to everyone. You are not the only one. Just pick yourself up and don’t beat yourself up. The past is the past & you can only focus on your present!)
- Looking at someone else’s body and striving to attain their body instead of what is ideal for YOU (The only person you should be competing with is yourself. Not some unrealistic ideal that will ultimately just make you feel bad about yourself because it’s unattainable)
- The concept that if you don’t have their body then you are a subpar human being and should essentially just quit everything and live in a cave because you’re not worthy to be seen by anyone anyways (YOU are you. YOU get to make the decisions about your body and you alone. NOBODY should get to tell you how you should be or how you should look. Only you get to decide that.)
Now here’s some 411 about the people you see in 99.99% of those pictures:
1. They’re probably jacked like that because they’re doing fitness competitions…where they get in bikinis and show off their muscles. They’re not the “norm”, they are not your average person going to the gym to lose a little weight and feel good… and they are not realistic.
2. They’re probably severely dehydrated because when you’re dehydrated your muscles show way better. Which is why you can see every muscle fiber in their 12-pack abs. (Dehydration is basically the absolute WORST thing you can do for your body… besides maybe throwing yourself in a wood chipper. Also not ideal.)
3. They are most likely on VERY strict and restrictive diets.
4. The photos are MORE than likely photoshopped.
(Side note 2: This is not to bash people who do fitness competitions… we know lots of them and it’s nothing personal against you. Just isn’t realistic for the everyday person going to the gym and trying to be healthy.)
We are here to promote POSITIVE SELF-IMAGE by providing workouts and nutritional tips that we hope will assist you in finding YOUR perfect YOU…not some version of you that a picture on the internet has said you have to be.
Go to the gym to feel good!
Go to the gym to burn off negative emotion!
Go to the gym to boost your self-confidence! (Not tear it down)
Go to the gym to sweat and feel accomplished!
Eat well not because it’s what the Internet told you to do but because it makes you FEEL good!
Eat well because it helps build muscle!
Eat well because it’s what your body needs.
(Or in our case we need to eat so we don’t destroy buildings and breathe fire)
Too many women out there are ashamed to eat and workout because they’re uncomfortable in their own skin as a result of media shoving this “ideal body” nonsense so far down our throats we don’t even know what normal is anymore. If you watched tv and actually counted the number of commercials in a week that are on pushing weight loss and having a perfect body… it’s insane..you might as well go to the beach and try and count grains of sand! It’s no longer about just being “fit” it’s about taking everything that makes you YOU and disposing of it to achieve this unattainable perfection.
Nobody is perfect, we DEFINITELY aren’t. We’re stone cold, gluten free, fist pounding, hanger avoiding, exceptionally hilarious holistic nutritionist weirdos… and we have totally accepted that.
Let’s change the way we think about food and the gym. Not as calories going straight to your thighs but as nourishment for your body so you can feel amazing every day… and not as a place where you need to run on the treadmill for at least 5 hours to burn off everything you ate that day, but as a place where when you leave you feel like you’ve accomplished something great and you feel fantastic about yourself.
STOP FITSPIRATION & DO YOU!
BE INSPIRED BY STRIVING TO BE BETTER THAN THE PERSON YOU WERE YESTERDAY!
These sites are both amazing for promoting healthy and positive body image!:
HOLLIE AND MARGARET OUT!