It would appear that as of lately the “trend” if it can be called that is eating healthy. But what is “healthy” anymore? Does it even still have a meaning?
In all honesty I’m fairly new to the health and wellness industry, however now that I’m seeing it from the perspective of a professional in the field… it’s a whole different ball game. Everyone and their dog and sister and mom and brother’s uncle have an opinion… about EVERYTHING. There’s so many different diets and fads and ways of eating out there now it’ll make your head spin off it’s axel, but the fundamental issue that I see personally is that everyone’s just doing what someone else is doing and aren’t considering what is best for them personally! One person believes that the best way to eat is gluten free, while another strongly believes everyone should be vegan and then there’s another who think that the only possible way to be healthy is to eat paleo like our ancestors did. Are any of these perspectives 100% right? Probably not.
I went gluten free after I researched the symptoms of gluten sensitivity and came to the conclusion that it would better MY PERSONAL health to remove it from my diet, and it worked, so yes removing wheat products from my diet was a “healthy” decision for me personally. Is it for everyone? Maybe not.
As a holistic nutritionist, my perspective comes from a place of balance. Yes I believe eating quality, wholesome, natural and nourishing food is massively beneficial to everyone (duh), however I am also under the impression that with that comes flexibility and balance. I’m a firm believer in the 80/20 rule. I believe that as long as we’re eating well 80 percent of the time, then the other 20 percent allows for this flexibility and balance. Nobody should have to feel guilty for going out and indulging with friends because they think that they’re going to get judged for what they’re eating or develop anxiety because they’re “cheating” on their diet (current pet peeve).
It’s become very common since I became a nutritionist that people feel the need to justify their eating habits to me whenever I’m around them…. I don’t care. I don’t mean that in a harsh or rude way I just mean that what you do with your body and what YOU choose to nourish yourself with…is none of my business. I don’t live in your body everyday so as far as I’m concerned I really have no say in the matter. If you approach me and would like my assistance to show you how you can make your diet/lifestyle more balanced and incorporate my holistic perspective into your life, I’m more than happy to share my opinion with you then… but other then that… do what you want! I’m not here to judge I’m here to help.
“Healthy” is a wishy washy term that has (in my opinion) been dragged through the wringer to the point that it has a very vague meaning at this point and it will have a different one for every single person!
To me, healthy is happiness and balance and inner peace. What does it mean to you?
Food for thought 🙂
Happy Wednesday Friends!!